Next to Ka'ahumanu shopping center on Maui sits the old pineapple cannery.  As a child, whenever we passed by, my mom would tell us about the summer job she had there.  Apparently the acid from the pineapple was so strong that it would eat through the canvas of the worker's shoes.

I thought of this last night when I peeled the pineapple she had sent through the "fruit of the month".  A couple of months ago when we were talking she mentioned that she had asked them to send extra pineapple in particular.

As I twisted off the crown and carefully carved away the "eyes" of the pineapple, the acid of the juice stung a scratch on my finger.  And, after only a couple of slices, my tongue was prickly from the fruit.

The acid had begun to eat away at me as well.


Popular posts from this blog

A message to our community regarding the protesters last night...

20A, "There is nothing you can say or do..."

Proper 6A