Swirling and Centering

I've been feeling a longing lately for a day--a day alone, no interruptions, no one I know.  I imagine a small cottage or hermitage, a simple kneeler with Bible and the Book of Common Prayer.  Candles and incense burning, a small wood stove and kettle for tea.  A day of turning inward, discerning and reflecting.  It needs to be in the woods, this hermitage, and it needs to have a simple pathway to its door.

A book of poems would be lovely, or some of May Sarton's journals ("Journal of a Solitude" comes to mind).  I would want it to be a day in which I let go of guilt and regret, a day in which I embrace calm and peace.  I would want it to be a day of finding joy in my callings.  There would be no internet with the multitude of voices calling to me until I can't hear any for the cacophony of it all, no news, no current events.  Just the breeze in the pines and the singing of birds.

But, I am aware as I write that I am placing too many demands on this day (do you hear the monks singing each to each?).  This day I long for and have not yet had or planned...

I imagine it to be a time of drawing inward, going within myself to let go of self a bit.

My imagined place for this retreat is based on a real place, the hermitage at Agape...I spent a summer living at Agape (an intentional community that works for non-violence) and the hermitage there is my model for the kind of place I can find peace.  Where do you find peace?  Where do you long to be alone?
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proper 21C, Rent Asunder

The Lost Found

Proper 13C, In Which I Preach Another Sermon About Hope While Feeling Pretty Darn Hopeless