Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sometimes The Spirit Catches Me

Little mite,
Solid and serious presence
Big, brown eyes.
Daring me to deny her
the passion of the Spirit.

Sometimes the Spirit catches me
and I cry.
So, don't worry, it's just the Spirit.
Earnest face nodding, sisters gathered round,
It's true, it's true.

Five or six at the time.
A recent vision at fifteen--
With hand on jutted hip,
Jaw moving wildly around fruited gum.
Watching the boys, all basketballs and muscled arms.

It's true, it's true.
Slim fit jeans,
Adorning her sass.
Don't worry.
But I do.

Catch her, Spirit,
Do.

3 comments:

The Morrigan said...

I don't know if you ever knew Alice Anne Rice while you were at Seabury, but it would mean a lot to me if you could say a prayer for her. Puna passed away on the 16th; it was peaceful and in her sleep. It's hard for me to be so far away from Maui; I've been reaching out to people from home more frequently over the last two weeks. I really hope that you and I can see each other again sometime soon.

LOVE,
Blanche

Joy said...

Blanche, I will of course say a prayer for Alice Anne--and for you. Huge hug to you and know that I know how hard it is to be so far away from "home" when we need to touch the ocean, smell the air and feel just "right" in the way that this time zone just doesn't allow for.

The Morrigan said...

*smiles* Thanks so much Joy Joy; it means a lot to me.