The trip got stranger

Okay, so the first and last time I updated this I was serving as a pediatric chaplain. About 5 months ago I realized (with the help of my beloved wife) that serving as the sole chaplain in a 244 bed children's hospital (handling at the very least one death a week without any support from other clergy or chaplains) was a slow way to die. So, two months ago (on October 30th to be exact) I left that call for another. The date was intentional--I used to joke that on Halloween I got to have two different conversations, "no, this is not a costume. I'm really a priest" and "no, I don't believe that Halloween is a tool of Satan". It was a very difficult decision to make and I struggled (and still do) with the feeling that I was abandoning these folk I had very much come to love. But, martyrdom is overrated and I came to realize that serving God can and should be a joyful task. So, I now serve as the half-time associate rector at a lovely church in Akron, OH. I will post some material I have written for other sites and occasions to this blog and will aim to update this blog weekly (at the very least). Peace and God, shield the joyous.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proper 21C, Rent Asunder

The Lost Found

Proper 13C, In Which I Preach Another Sermon About Hope While Feeling Pretty Darn Hopeless